If you have heard about the wonders coconut oil can do, trust me, you have NOT been lied to. I was recently told that if one uses coconut oil for the hair, skin, and nails that it will improve your overall appearance. My curiosity nearly killed me, so I went ahead and purchased two jars and upon receipt, I immediately put it to the test. Beforehand, of course, I did a lot of research, and mostly everyone gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Coconut Oil is used for cooking (be careful it is HIGH on saturated fat!), baking, and some people even use it as a facial moisturizer/body lotion. I bought the unrefined kind, and please note that if you live in cooler climates, the oil may arrive solidified in a bright white color. Mine turned so hard I could not dip the spoon in. Nonetheless, at room temperature, it liquifies and the color changes to clear. This is my take:
- PREP THE OIL: I buy unrefined ORGANIC coconut oil, but refined can be used as well. I highly recommend organic products. Before using the Coconut Oil I put a few spoonfuls in a pot, I heat it for 30-60 SECONDS only and I wait for it to cool off (please give it time, the oil gets very HOT). I wait at the least 30-45 minutes before placing it inside a plastic spray bottle, ready for use.
- SKIN: For the skin, I was a bit hesitant to try it since the word “oil” on SKIN does NOT sound appealing to me, at all. However, for the sake of reviewing, I applied it to my hands, face, and neck. Of course, if you have oily skin, I would sway away from it, but for my normal/dry skin combination it worked like a charm. The moisturizing level for coconut oil is intense. I only use a teeny tiny bit of it once every three weeks on my face, or on those days harsh cold weather makes my dry skin thirsty. When applying oil, it is a very thin fluid that goes on similar to that of a serum. It did not break me out (though it left an oily feeling behind, duh!); however, I rarely use it on my face and although it worked fine, I suggest you consult a professional before using any product recommended on this site or elsewhere.
- HAIR: I am HONEST when I say that since I have been using coconut oil on my hair its condition improved. I have natural curly tresses that I have been chemically processing since I was a teen (from dyes to flat irons). I spend so much money on taking care of my hair that no product I have used has come close to the results this oil has given me. Over the weekend, I went to my hair stylist and she said, “I do not know what you have done to your hair, but whatever it is keep doing it, this is the healthiest I have ever seen it!” Some people recommend you use it, leave it on for 45 minutes and rinse. I use it as a leave-in conditioner nearly every day. It defrizzes hair leaving it shiny, manageable, and soft. Perfect for all hair types. A little goes a long way. It tops all of the serums I have used in the past and to be frank, I cannot imagine living without this oil. BONUS: Put some on your scalp and it can get rid of dandruff!
- NAILS: I am an artist, from writing to painting, I do NOT take good care of my hands (they always have either paint or ink on them). My nails do NOT grow. My doctor said I needed vitamins. I took vitamins, they grew a bit, but still remained weak and chipped. I asked my nail technician, and she suggested nail polishes (rather expensive ones if I may add) some I have tried and reviewed on here, which worked, but not at the level that it should have since before 2 weeks time my nails broke. Nothing work, so I just cut off my nails all the time since at not even a 1/4 of an inch they are a disaster. For the past two months I have been applying coconut oil on my hair without wearing gloves. I noticed my nails are STRONG, have NOT chipped, and they are the longest they have ever been in my ENTIRE LIFE. I haven’t used nail polish and I stopped taking those vitamins, it was the OIL. Now, I use coconut oil on my hands and nails as well. My hands have NEVER looked so beautiful and my nails are so long. I cannot stop staring at them! And since it is oil, I skip clear polish because the oil gives it a special shine!
- SCENT: It has a coconutty scent, but do not be alarmed, it is very subtle. However, if you are extremely sensitive to fragrances, perhaps this is not for you. But again, it is such a light scent, it is tolerable.
- CAUTION: This is an OIL, it WILL STAIN your clothes! Wear it before going to bed and put a towel on top of your pillows if you do not want to stain any materials. It will NOT come out. Unless you know of a miracle stain remover that will lift it, and if so, you should let me know!
- WHERE TO BUY: Organic Coconut Oil (any brand of your choice) can be found at a natural foods store, various retailers carry them, and so does Amazon. I get mine from the VitaminShoppe.
This beauty guru shares the benefits of Coconut Oil: